300 ml Cold Water
4 slices ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. cooking oil
10 stalks asparagus,
discard the tough lower ends.
3 slices ginger (finally chopped)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
Sauce Ingredients: Combine
1 1/2 tsp fresh chicken stock
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp cornflour
1/2 tsp Hua Tiam wine
- Remove the fresh abalone from the shell.
- Trim off the little ruffle around it and slice thinly.
- Put the abalone in a deep saucepan with water to cover and simmer for about five hours. Proceed with the following recipe.
- Place the cold water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add the ginger, salt and oil.
- Place the asparagus in the water, cover, lower the heat and cook for six to seven minutes.
- Remove and arrange the asparagus to a serving dish and set aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a wok.
- Add the ginger and garlic.
- When lightly browned add the combined sauce ingredients.
- When it begins to boil put in the abalone.
- Reduce the heat and simmer fro 12 minutes.
- Turn up the heat to high and add the wine.
- Pour this over the asparagus.
- Arrange the abalone slices neatly and serve at once.
This is from Betty Yew's Kitchen, New Straits Times 02/28/97 ©1997.